Saturday, April 4, 2009

When will it bloom?

I've been so involved in other projects for the past few weeks, that I haven't taken the time to do what I love — wander around and take pictures. Today I went for a walk with my camera, and over the next few days I hope to be sharing some of the photos on my blog. I'll begin with two photos of a Century Plant Agave that is growing in our RV resort.



I took this first photo on March 18, when I first heard about the impending bloom.



Everyday I ride my bike by the plant to monitor its progress, and it just keeps getting taller. The second photo was taken this afternoon. The property owner said she thinks she is growing Jack's beanstalk! No one seems to have any idea when the plant will bloom. I just hope it is before the 19th, when we leave for the season.

Expand the post for more…

While called the Century Plant, it actually lives from ten to twenty-five years, blooming only once and then dying. During out last two trips to Arizona and western Texas we saw many blooming Century Plants. The ones we observed in 2007 were of a smaller variety of the plant, but last March, in Texas, I took photos of a large, dying specimen after the bloom.




2 comments:

  1. Dear Linda, I think that I saw one of these Century plants in bloom, somewhere. I also remember that the bloom may not have the most pleasing aroma. Let us know when it blooms with your camera and if it does have a nice fragrance. Nice pix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Can't wait to see the next photo! Sure makes you wonder. Thanks! dr

    ReplyDelete