Friday, May 16, 2008

Home on Long Island and the blog evolves…


Home again on Long Island! If only it wasn't so difficult to get here. This photo shows the traffic on the George Washington Bridge on Mother's Day Sunday at about 7 P.M. Not fun for anyone, but brutal in a motor home.

If you are visiting views through my lens… for the first time, welcome. Beginning with this post something new is being added to the blog. I will continue posting photos and brief text about the photos, but I am adding a "jump" to another page, where I will include digital photography links, tips and how to's. Please send me comments if you have any thoughts to share—I'd love to hear from you. If you want to be notified of blog updates, you will be able to subscribe to the blog with an RSS feed sometime next week. Or, send me an email and I will add you to the email update list.

This photo of the George Washington bridge was taken with a Nikon D70 DSLR (digital single lens reflex camera) and a Nikkor 70–300 VR zoom lens. The lens was set to 70mm and the camera was set to f/6.3 at 1/50 of second.

The VR lens (for vibration reduction) has an active mode for taking photos when the camera, as well as the subject, is moving. I took this photo while stuck in traffic, so movement was not much of a problem, but I do use the lens all the time to take photos from the RV and boats (well, maybe only a few times on boats). Vibration reductions, or image stabiliztion (same thing) really makes a difference when you are taking photos from a moving object, with a physically long lens, or in reduced light. The stabilization technology, whether is in the lens or built into a point & shoot camera, compensates for hand and body movement and reduces the chance of getting blurry photos. A must on your next camera or lens!

No comments:

Post a Comment